Today, We have a few summer nutrition hacks from Coach Josh Nimmo to make your life easier. We know it can be tough to eat well when you’re sitting by the beach or running from one cookout to the next, so check out the ideas below!
- Batch cook. While some people like cooking, busy people often don’t have time—especially in the summer. And everyone hates doing dishes no matter what season you’re in. So reduce kitchen time and dishes by cooking large quantities of healthy food and then storing it. For example, you could cook a healthy crockpot meal on Sunday night and package it so you can grab a container from the freezer three more times during the week.
- GRILL your food. This healthy hack adds amazing flavor to food especially if you use a charcoal grill or the recently popular pellet smokers. Instead of frying veggies in oil, try another option. I can tell you that grilled asparagus, broccoli, and brussel sprouts are all delicious.
- Adjust your Intake. If you have to attend a summer cookout, adjust your intake earlier in the day. I know a cheeseburger, cole slaw, and two Fourth of July cupcakes are delicious, and a big-time family dinner is an amazing thing. Enjoy it! But if you know an upcoming meal is going to be epic, make a few changes to your regular intake earlier in the day.
- Limit alcohol and avoid sugary drinks. If you choose to consume, you can consume a lot of “empty calories” quickly. Alcohol doesn’t provide any nutrients, and it can affect recovery and sleep. So the best plan is always moderation. If you want to take it one step further, avoid sugary liqueurs, mixed drinks like margaritas, and drinks that combine spirits with soda. The sugar in these drinks can really put a dent in your diet. Another trick is alternating water with each adult beverage you consume.
- Limit the “junk food” you have in the house. If you purchase less than healthy snacks or treats for one of your summer events, only buy enough for the event. Don’t be upset about getting rid of any extras either. If you have a box of chocolate cupcakes on the counter, it’s very easy to reach for one—and then another! But if you don’t keep foods that don’t match your goals in the house, it’s harder to binge.
And remember: If you’d like a plan that’s personalized to you, we can help. Many of our clients can attest, the hardest seasons to work on their nutrition are when they need a coach the most. Book a free consult with us to find out how we can help you navigate the summer cookout scene and keep you moving towards your goals. Link below!
Enjoy the summer,